Every month, as part of my rebranding, I’ve decided to share tidbits and suggestions on what’s new and out there in terms of music, style, movies, and news. I’ll write about what I’ve been up to and what I’ve discovered, along with trends in my world and the world around me. I hope to spread insight to tips!
What I’ve been listening to:
Since I haven’t been at college for long, and I’m still not super comfortable with my surroundings, I’ve gathered some older goodies that make me think of home and my journey in a good comforting way.
- Independence by The Band Perry- a little known gem from 2010 that talks about leaving home for the first time.
- Don’t Forget to Remember Me by Carrie Underwood- Another throw back from a popular country artist that’s about remembering family when leaving.
- It’s Time by Imagine Dragon- A great tune that talks about getting a fresh start, but still holding on to who you are.
Things to watch:
- House of Z- A Vogue Documentary
- As a part of a fashion week special, Vogue came out with documentary portraying the rise, fall and rebound of the young star designer Zac Posen, designer of his own atelier and top creative director at Brooks Brother’s Women. I came across the documentary randomly, and decided to look into it. It was very well done and interesting to watch. Highly recommend.
- Outlander Season 3
- The popular Starz original has returned with an anticipated 3rd season that can be watched either on Starz or Xfinity. Based on a series of novels, the show follows a young nurse named Claire as she finds herself time traveling away from a post-WW2 England into a 18th century Scotland. Season 2 ended with a major cliff-hanger which promises an intense return of the series.
College Game Day season!
- As a college freshman, I have been stocking up on cute apparel to showcase my school spirit. Baseball caps and beads are great go-tos while rugby shirts are making their way into must-have lists.
- I also love my Spirit Shoes from Jack Rogers. They have their own special collection where their iconic sandal is made in school colors making them perfect for sporting events, or when you feel the need to display school pride. You can have them custom made, or if your like me, you can get the boater style Jacks which are waterproof, lighter and cheaper than the originals.
Fashion Week Franticness
- Guess what? It’s September, meaning that the fashion capitals of the world are being/ will be swarmed with celebrities, models, designers, and reporters; all trying to get a glimpse of what will be in style this coming year. Being mid-way through, many trends have emerged that seem to be worthy of attention such as sequins on dresses, skirts and shirts, velvet everything, oversized blazers, and statement faux fur pieces. I’ve compiled links to these trends below.
Can be found at https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens_category/outerwear/puffersandvests/fauxfur-vest/H0514. This vest is perfect for fall.
White after labour day? YES, why not. I’m a stickler for tradition and rules, but when it comes to the color white, I am all for wearing it year round. It’s totally acceptable if you love white like me, and no one will judge you anymore. Vogue has even denounced the old rule. Anyways, white shoes are huge this year. The ones here are Rebecca Minkoff loafers, and can be found on ShopBop. Click here: https://www.shopbop.com/edie-loafers-rebecca-minkoff/vp/v=1/1500861073.htm?folderID=13872&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&os=false&colorId=12397
I’m obsessed with this velvet shoe trend, and I’m hoping to personally get a pair for winter because they are so cool and classy. Here are two kinds that can be from at Saks. The first one is from Joie and can be found here: https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524447072505 . The second one is Ash, and can be found here: https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306624251&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524447128034&R=191154032051&P_name=Ash&N=306624251+1556&bmUID=lW4UFGO
Sequins are another unique trend that’s definitely out there. If your daring enough, this is differently the time to go invest in a sequined piece such as this one from Topshop. http://us.topshop.com/en/tsus/product/petite-sequin-plunge-mini-dress-6758504?bi=0&ps=20&Ntt=sequins
Blazers are big right now. And what’s even bigger, large oversized printed blazers such as ones with strips or gingham. Have fun with this classy trend. This one pictured is from Club Monaco and can be found on sale here: http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/index.jsp?productId=89247636
Tip for living the college life
- Did you know that Sephora has a great shipping and awards program? Well, if you sign up for free, you can not only get points towards free stuff when you need to order mascara last minute, but get 3 free samples of your choice in your order. I don’t know about you, but I’ll take anything free, and samples are a great way of trying new products and such from the bubble of a college campus. What is more, Sephora will send you perfume samples to test which are actually really enjoyable to get in the mail.
- I ordered a great sleeping mask from them when I discovered a need for one week two into college (who would have thought that was an essential?). It helps me fall asleep much better, and is super light and soft. The silk also prevent my eyes from having marks the next morning too! Get one here at: https://www.sephora.com/product/silk-sleepmask-P402942?skuId=1771294&icid2=products%20grid:p402942